Here little space station...
Saturday, 19th March 2016
I've been collecting up appropriate junk to attempt an contact with the packet radio installation on the ISS.
I haven't pulled it off yet, but as far as I can tell you need:
- A directional antenna for the 2m band
- An amateur radio license to transmit on said band
- A radio that can receive and transmit on 2m (144.825MHz)
- An AX.25 TNC
- A Laptop or PC to drive the TNC
- Appropriate paraphernalia to connect all of those things together
A compass also might help for figuring out which direction to expect the satellite to be coming from.
I'll go over the gear I've collected in a later post, some of these items are a heap more difficult to come across in NZ than it seems to be in the USA.